Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Technically Unsavvy

Hey y'all. Since I'm working for a computer company this summer, I figured I should finally learn how this blog thing works. First, though, I got to spend 4 hours trying to hook up my internet, including 2+ hours on the phone to the tech support number... Boy, have I enjoyed being unplugged for a few weeks. No more - now I've got a personal laptop and email, work laptop and email, a personal cell phone, a work cell phone and 2-way radio... Ugh!

I had a great few weeks of decompression, thanks in no little part to fellow Section A-ers. Kate is the coolest travel partner around. We had a great time just doing, whatever. And though our interludes were all too brief, I enjoyed seeing Joel and Chris V during my tour of coastal areas. As Chris mentioned, I spent a week in Maui surfing 4 hours a day. Boy, did I get a workout. I also got into a fight with a reef - the reef won. It was an unintentional "fitness week" and a great way to start the summer. By the end of the week, I was out in waves that were "head high" and got totally worked by some of the bigger ones.

Well, I've finished 3 whole days at Dell. Today I spent the day on the factory floor actually building computers (if you've ordered a Dell recently and it was built today, you might want to reconsider - just kidding :) ) I've got to say that Dell is pretty great as far as manufacturing jobs go. A clean, comfortable environment, no super-heavy lifting, no toxic fumes, etc. But boy am I thankful that I won't be working on an assembly line (or cell or job shop...) for the next 30 years. As much as I bitch about being in school, we've got it pretty good.

And along the lines of being fortunate, I encourage everyone to check out the ONE Campaign, http://www.onecampaign.org I've spoken with some of you about my time in Africa. For the rest, let me just say that it was a life changing experience that has stuck with me to this day. I'm not going to preach, but it's at least worth investigating to figure out where you stand on the subject.

I hope your vacations and/or internships are off to a great start.

Christa

No comments: