Monday, July 04, 2005

Arlotto's Summer

Hello everyone! I thought I would give everyone a post-July 4th treat by saving my update for today. Life in Los Angeles is amazing. The weather is 75 everyday, filled with warm sunshine and cool ocean breezes that refresh the day. I cherish the 35 minutes during lunch that I get to experience all that LA has to offer. The rest of the time I am locked within my controlled temperature, concrete cell, chained to my desk, working on powerpoint and getting ridiculed for not knowing excel short-cuts and for having extra spaces between words. The world of investment banking has been an interesting one to say the least. I have been working about 100 hour weeks, occasionally getting a day off. Most of my time has been spent on pitches and I am just starting to get live deal experience. I think I am getting a real feel for what life will be like as an associate. I must admit I am looking forward to August 5th when my internship ends – so I can have some time off – I am not sure if it’s a good sign if I have the date memorized. But in some weird way, I like the job.

The long hours make me appreciate my free time a lot more. Marty has been very good about the hours and we have maximized our free time. We have hung out with my family, had a few get-togethers at our place, getting reacquainted with the LA nightlife and even seeing new parts of the city. Last night, Marty and I went to see Wicked (Broadway show – cause that’s what the gays do). But, the rest of the time is spent just lounging by the pool. I am also slowly burring off my Boston tan that I spent all winter developing (last October through May). It took a lot of work to get this white (but I am sure many of you can relate, eh Margot?). I am taking it very slowly. My goal is to get the SPF count on my lotion down to double digits by the end of the summer without getting burned.

Since returning to LA, I am also starting to reconnect with some long lost friends. I have not lived in LA for over 4 years and came out of contact with a few while living the fast-paced New York lifestyle. So I am still working on getting through those “catching up” phone calls so I can get past “the past” and move onto the future. Marty is well and says hello. And if you happen to be in the neighborhood please let us know (this does not apply to certain individuals currently living in the LA area like Chris Villarreal (said with an accent) who has already corrupted the happiest place on earth and now he has his sights set on the rest of LA) and if I like you, maybe I will be able to get some time off work!

Hope all is well!!!

Viva la France!!!


Michael G. Arlotto

No comments: