Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bowman Daniel's Summer

Peeps -
Just to "push back" on Dub-D's email, the reason kids say they want to be a doctor when they grow up is that they have no idea how badly docs get their asses kicked during residency. While I'm toodling away at my little job this summer Shelby is working like 115 hours a week and has to spend every third night at the hospital…livin' the dream I guess.

Anywho, I ended up breaking down and taking an internship this summer at a small, semi start-up that call themselves a biotech "venture creation" firm. Pretty fun, basically we take cool ideas that are being developed in PhD labs and other institutions and start companies based on their technologies…kind of a super early stage VC, but a lot times our goal is get companies ready to go a VC and them help them raise money and build a management team (while taking the vast majority of an ownership stake for ourselves). I get to think about Felix and The Gompers Show daily which is what I was planning on doing anyway this summer so it's worked out quite nicely. Great hours and I get to work with lots of CEO's, Doctors, and nerds...can't really complain. I was quite excited to find that we had a Kuerig coffee maker in the office…I've used it a few times, not bad, but it doesn't stop people from going to Starbuck's everyday. We're doing all the stuff that young companies do, trying to figure out who we are, starting a consulting group, discussing what kind of candy we want in the candy bowl…all the usual stuff. No bureaucracy, and lots of freedom to just figure stuff out which is great.

In my spare time I bring Shelbs and the other residents food at the hospital (after a 30 hour shift they're like rabid wolves), play a bit of golf, and mess around with digital media ideas. In August we're headed down to the beach house to make sure that Margot gets what she paid for (at the auction) when she takes her family down there…so if anyone is in/around Charleston, SC in mid-August holler at me. Otherwise I'm just chillin' in Boston. Shelbs in on call tomorrow so I might see the Boston crowd out at the Dave Winslow weekly gathering if it's going down.

That's pretty much the word, I really hope that everyone is getting what they wanted out of this summer and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you all back at school in the fall.

I love reading these everyday, thanks AJ and Tslizzle for orchestrating.

Bo

1 comment:

TomSly said...

Bowman: all credit for the updates goes to AJ, aka Barista Queen.